Subscribe Us

Responsive Advertisement

Advertisement

ESTELLE COVERS 'BLEU' MAGAZINE....

Estelle is featured on the latest new Spring 2008 issue of Bleu magazine which hits stands on April 29th. She expresses her concern towards the UK music industry not knowing how to promote black artists as well as those notable Lauryn Hill comparisons: "I think they compare me to her (Lauryn Hill) because I'm dark-skinned and I sing and rap. But, if they're saying the music is just as great, then compare me all day because I'll be really happy about that".



Soooo many newcomers are being compared to the eccentric Ms Hill these days. Sadly, the ex-Fugee has fallen off big time and has now resorted to becoming a consistent baby-making factory for the Marley legacy. Anywayz, I have yet to hear an album which comes remotely close to the 1998 classic The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Seriously. That quote just made me go and listen to the album and whilst I think it's good, it's not AS good. I had just left high school and was in my first week at college when Doo Wop (That Thing) became our anthem. I mean I remember when UK artist Ms Dynamite was getting the comparisons as well because of her ability to sing and rap. They were about to launch her career in the US but then it fell through because she ended up pregnant. And since then, she's been struggling to get back on top. UK R&B singer Craig David is pretty much in the same boat. I also peeped those reports about the record label wanting her to fix her teeth. I hope she doesn't comply because her "look" is what makes her who she is. If it's good enough for our side it should be good enough for those on the other side of the pond as well. In fact, I hope she stuck her fingers up and told them to stick their artificially-made image where the sun don't shine. The 27-year-old West London native will release her album Shine in the US on April 29th. To see the photoshoot from the magazine feature, click HERE.

Post a Comment

0 Comments