Subscribe Us

Responsive Advertisement

Advertisement

R&B SINGERS OUT & ABOUT: VMAS SPECIAL.....

The 2008 MTV Video Music Awards was a catastrophe last night. But before I talk about the wackness, I want to discuss Ms Britney Spears. Britney COINCIDENTLY won in ALL the categories she was nominated in, which was very suspicious. People can talk smack about her fans voting hard but where were those fans when 'Toxic' was waaaaay more deserving four years ago? She practically won Awards where it no longer matters especially when she should have won those Awards at the height of her career (since she's considered the certified ratings-puller throughout her VMAs career).



Toxic video was brilliant, from the costumes, the execution and the female James Bond concept as well as the song itself being hot. Aint no way 'Piece of Me' is touching anything on 'Toxic'. In fact, 'Piece of Me' video pales in comparison and is pretty crap. So if she was going to win any awards for Best Female Video, Best Pop Video and Video of the Year, it should have been for Toxic. I am really shocked she reigned over Rihanna who obviously had the better video. It is STRAIGHT obvious that MTV gave her all those Awards because 1. They felt bad for partially contributing towards her disatrous VMA performance last year, forcing her to perform just to get ratings knowing full well that she was still ill and not at all in the right frame of mind. 2. The VMA's is well noted for Britney and yet she'd never won a Moonie in her 10-year career. 3. They negotiated with Brit's people to have her appear provided that she wins one, if not all her categories. MTV had no main highlight and felt Britney was worth it. 4. It goes without saying that MTV only cares about ratings and not the wellbeing of the artists performing but maybe just maybe, they CARED and wanted to make her feel good about her comeback since they contributed towards her humilaition last year.

I instantly knew she was going to win all her categories because they were hyping up her appearnce like the best thing since sliced bread and hot chocolate. But to me, I felt a bit cheated considering that I didn't find her skit to be AT ALL interesting and then, when she did take to the stage she was on for LESS THAN A MINUTE. The way they were hyping her up, I was expecting something big. Even if she previewed a brand new music video to show she's truly back or something. That said, she looked FANTASTIC. Her weave wasn't that perfect but it was a massive upgrade from recent months since it use to look like a ragged birds nest. Her dress was BLAZING and her body showed that the bitch was working it and how she truly is taking her comeback seriously. She looked like the old Britney from 5-6 years ago - the Britney from pre-K-Fed days. But all of those wins were just blatant and quite deceving really. MTV aint pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

One performance that pissed me off was Rihanna's 'Disturbia':




When I saw the gothic-themed dancers take to the stage and the brilliant set, I thought this should be really good. But the chick was stiff and had no fluency to make herself stand out. If anything, her dancers were showing her up and that should not have been the case. At times, my focus on Rihanna got lost and I became transfixed on her dancers who were the REAL stars of that performance. And to top it all off, her vocals were shaky. One can be forgiven for thinking a sheep was having an orgasm, except there was nothing orgasmic about Rihanna's performance. She looked hot and her outfits were visually-engaging but the performance was a miss. It was one of those moments where I saw my admiration for the chick (as an artist) fade away into obscurity. I am shocked Rihanna doesn't get the same stick as Cassie as a performer because right now, they're pretty much on the same level as far as lacking stage presence is concerned. The chick did make up for it during her performance with rapper T.I. where they collaborated on his newest single 'Live Your Life', but not by much I must add. Damn shame, but I can't really say I'm shocked. I love Rihanna's edgy and cleverly ear-catching pop tunes but performance-wise, wham, bam, no thank you mam!

Pink absolutely ROCKED it out:



I love this chick. Even after she ditched the R&B to do the pop-rock route, I've never stopped respecting her as an artist AND most of all a performer. She is such an underrated performer it aint even funny. Anyone who saw her Janet Jackson tribute a couple of years ago on MTV will know Pink can throw down and the same swagger can be seen in her earlier video's since 'Can't Take Me Home' era. I can't wait to listen to her new album. I'm reading she's worked with Danja so whatever those two have cooked up together should be pretty interesting. I really enjoyed her last album 'I'm Not Dead' because it was political and had some thought-provoking messages behind it but overall, the music was enjoyable. As for the song 'So What', I liked it on the first listen because it is so fiesty and characteristically out there that I couldn't help but like the song. In fact, when I first listened to it, the song made me laugh and any song that can do that is a winner in my book. Pink, certainly isn't dead I'll give her that, but more alive than life itself. Cracking stuff.

The other performance I'm going to concentrate on is Christina Aguilera:



I personally liked the euro-pop/electronica twist she put on the originally poppy 'Genie In A Bottle'. Soon after, she launched into her new song 'Keeps Getting Better' which has grown on me DRAMATICALLY. As I previously said during the song leaking last week, the sound she's going for, Pink actually did it since 2002 so I'm really not seeing the freshness. On top of that, her look is comparative to several blonde-haired pop chicks I can think of. It seems she's catching on to what's 'hot' right now to gaurantee herself a successful comeback. Not that I'm complaining because she works it well. My only disappintment was that she lip synced which is not the best way to make a comeback since she's known for her impressive powerhouse vocals. This is what has separated her from the likes of Britney and Ashlee Simpson and now she pretty much put herself on their level when she's soooo above them.

I don't even have anything else to say about the other performances. They're just not worth my time apparently. The VMAs have lost the spark and entertainment value that made the Network its name and respect. When they can't offer any more gimmicks or shock tactics it's always left to the performers to put on a great show and when they can't even do that, what's the point? I do know that penises shrivelled to prune and vagina's dried up to sandpaper that a certain "Bootylicious" singer didn't take to the stage, but you know how her stans are. If Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Ciara, Alicia and so forth aren't on that stage next year I'll know better. LOL!

Anyway, here's the other R&B folk that attended. Chris Brown, Solange Knowles, Ciara, Keri Hilson, Danity Kane, The Pussycat Dolls, Mel B, Ne-yo, Jordin Sparks, Tameka 'Tiny' Cotter and her man T.I:







I can't even be arsed to speak on who looked hot and not. The pictures speak for themselves obviously. I hear Jordin Sparks upset folks when she claimed she wasn't a slut due to rocking a Promise ring:
"I just have one thing to say about promise rings. It’s not bad to wear a promise ring," Sparks, 18, told the crowd, off-the-cuff, "because not everybody – guy or girl – wants to be a slut." READ MORE
I think it's brilliant she's choosing to hang onto her virginity. I don't get the big deal though. I think it came out all wrong and I don't think she meant any harm by her comment even if it does come off as generalizing.

Post a Comment

0 Comments